General Information for first time applicants
- Those infected with or carrying infectious, communicable or other diseases or viruses as prescribed;
- Anyone against whom a warrant is outstanding or a conviction has been secured in the Republic or a foreign country in respect of genocide, terrorism, human smuggling, trafficking in persons, murder, torture, drug related charges, money laundering or kidnapping;
- Anyone previously deported and not rehabilitated by the Director-General in the prescribed manner;
- A member of or adherent to an association or organisation advocating the practice or racial hatred or social violence;
- Anyone who is or has been a member of or adherent to an organisation or association utilising crime or terrorism to pursue its ends; and
- Anyone found in possession of a fraudulent visa, passport, permanent residence permit or identification document.
- Anyone who is or is likely to become a public charge;
- Anyone identified as such by the Minister;
- Anyone who has been judicially declared incompetent;
- An rehabilitated insolvent;
- Anyone who has been ordered to depart in terms of this Act;
- Anyone who is a fugitive from justice;
- Anyone with previous criminal convictions without the option of a fine for conduct which would be an offence in the Republic, with the exclusion of certain prescribed offences; and
- Any person who has overstayed the prescribed number of times.
This category of permit is applicable to foreigners who have been residing in South Africa on the basis of their work permits for a minimum period of five years, their spouses and also to dependents of South African citizens/permanent residence permit holders.
To apply for a direct residency permit you need to complete form DHA-947 online via VFS GLOBAL.
This category of permits applies to foreigners who:
- have critical skills and qualifications as prescribed in the critical skills list
- intend to establish a business in the Republic
- qualify as Refugees in terms of Section 27(c) of the Refugees Act
- qualify as retired persons
- are financially independent
- are relatives (biologically or judicially adopted) of a South African citizen/permanent residence permit holder