Pretoria - AU Chairperson and Minister Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma will today Tuesday 25 September attend the opening session of the UN General Assembly scheduled for New York as part of her new responsibilities within the African Union Commission.
The 67th Session of the UN General Assembly is organised around the theme “ the rule of law at the national and international levels” and scheduled to begin its deliberations on 25 September 2012.
During her visit to New York and on the margins of the 67th Session of the UN General Assembly, Minister and AU Chairperson, Dr. Dlamini Zuma is expected to attend a number of multilateral meetings on behalf of the African Union Commission including holding a series of bilateral discussions.
In this regard, and in addition to the UN General Assembly Session and bilateral discussions, Former Minister Dlamini Zuma is expected to attend among others:
- Mini-Summit on Somalia hosted by the UN Secretary-General
- High-level meeting Eastern DRC convened by the UN Secretary-General
- UN Secretary-General’s Every Woman every Child Reception
- Socialist International Session
- Meeting between African Foreign Ministers and Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade in preparation for the 3rd Korea- Africa Forum
- The Ministerial event on “Preventing the illegal use of force through judicial accountability
- High-level meeting on Shared Responsibility and Global Solidarity for the AIDS Response co-hosted by the Chairperson of the AU (Benin)
- Ministerial meeting on Responsibility to Protect: Deepening our commitment to mass atrocity prevention, hosted by Botswana. Brazil, Denmark and the Netherland
- High-level Panel discussion on “Intensifying global efforts for the elimination of female genital mutilations
Former Minister Dlamini Zuma is expected to return to South Africa on 28 September ahead of national events planned to coincide with her scheduled departure for Addis Ababa on 12 October for the hand-over ceremony on 15 October 2012.
Released by Chief Directorate: Communication