SPOUSE MARRIED FOR A MINIMUM OF FIVE YEARS [SECTION 26 (B)]
ALL DOCUMENTS ISSUED BY THE ISSUING AUTHORITY OF THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN SHALL BE ORIGINAL OR COPIES APOSTLED AND WHERE APPLICABLE TRANSLATED INTO ONE OF THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGES OF THE REPUBLIC, WHICH TRANSLATION SHALL BE CERTIFIED AS A CORRECT TRANSLATION BY A SWORN TRANSLATOR.
- A duly completed BI-947 form online. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by Department of Home Affairs.
- A valid passport in respect of each applicant.
- In respect of a spouse accompanying the applicant or joining the applicant in the Republic, a marriage certificate or proof of relationship as contemplated in Regulation 3.
- In respect of dependent children accompanying the applicant or joining the applicant in the Republic, proof of parental responsibilities and rights or written consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent or legal guardian, as the case may be:
- Applicable application fee, original bank payment / Electronic Fund Transfer receipt for each applicant, where applicable.
- Appointment Letter, a passport photograph for all applicants one year of age and older. A recent, passport-type, full face photograph bearing the names of the applicants on the reverse side thereof. (Machine-type or instant photographs are not acceptable).
- Unabridged birth certificate, or extract from birth record for applicant(s).
- Biometrics in respect of any applicant over the age of sixteen years
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends travelling from or transit through a yellow fever endemic area: Provided that the certificate shall not be required where that person travelled or intends travelling in direct transit through such area or where an application is made in the Republic.
- Police clearance certificate(s) All applicants 18 years of age and older. In respect of all countries of residence for one year or longer (only originals issued by the relevant security authority will be accepted.
- Radiological reports: Provided that the radiological report shall not be required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or pregnant woman.
- Medical Certificate as per format provided in Services section on the website.
- Marriage certificate, or extract from marriage record. Proof of registration of customary marriage in terms of Recognition of Customary Marriages Act No 120 of 1998 (Act No. 120 of 1998) where applicable /
- Proof that applicant has been the spouse of a citizen or permanent resident for five years. A notarial agreement signed by both parties attesting that –(i) the permanent spousal homosexual or heterosexual relationship has existed for at least two years before the date of application for a relevant visa or permanent residence permit and that the relationship still exist to the exclusion of any other person and (ii) neither of the parties is a spouse in an existing marriage or a permanent homosexual or heterosexual relationship
- Spousal affidavit. Part A of form 12 (create link) confirming the continued existence of the relationship.
- Part B: (create link) an applicant contemplated in Sub Regulation (1) who has been issued with a visa or permanent residence permit must, after a period of two years from the date of issuing of that visa or permanent residence permit, inform the Director-General whether or not the spousal relationship still exists by submitting to the Director-General an affidavit on Part B of form 12.
- In the case where such a party was a spouse in the previous marriage, any official documents that prove the dissolution of such marriage either by divorce or the death of the other spouse.
- Documentation to proof financial support to each other and extent to which the related responsibilities are shared by the applicant and his/her spouse and in the case of a relationship concluded between two foreigners in a foreign country, an official recognition of the relationship issued by the relevant authorities of the country concerned, if available. All married applicants or parties to spousal relationship.
- A deed poll in the case of the applicant who has changed his or her name, surname or sex
- Where the application is made in the Republic, a valid visa for temporary sojourn at the time of application, in respect of each applicant.
- Declaration of support for the application by the spouse who is a citizen or permanent resident.
- Identity document and permanent residence permit of the spouse who is the citizen.
- If the spouse is a permanent resident, a copy of his or her permanent residence permit must be submitted.